Get started today.

Family Sponsorship

How can I sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada? You, as the sponsor, must meet certain eligibility criteria, and the people you sponsor must also meet some eligibility factors.


If you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to become a permanent resident.

However, if the potential sponsor was sponsored as a spouse within the last five years, or has been convicted of certain domestic or sexual offences, or is on social insurance, then the sponsor may not be eligible.

Child / Dependent

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can usually sponsor dependent children (including an adopted child) to become a permanent resident.

Canadian citizens who have children born outside of Canada may be able to apply for citizenship for that child. Not all Canadian citizens are eligible, depending on some factors such as whether the Canadian citizen inherited citizenship by birth outside Canada.

Parent / Grandparent

Canadian permanent residents or citizens may be eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent for permanent residence if they meet the income requirement and are successful in a lottery. Rules often change annually.

Generally, the sponsor must be able to show that the sponsor and his or her spouse earn at least 30% above the published Low Income Cut Off (LICO) for their family size, including any parents or grandparents being sponsored. Income must be shown on three consecutive Canada Revenue Agency Notices of Assessment.

Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents may also support their parents or grandparents for a Super Visa. This is a long-term temporary residence visa (TRV). The application process is similar to that for a regular TRV.

Additional documentation includes:

  • A letter of invitation from the child or grandchild residing in Canada
  • Documents that prove the sponsoring child or grandchild meets the LICO level
  • Proof of parental relationship with child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate that names them as a parent
  • Proof of emergency medical insurance coverage for one year with a Canadian insurance company


There is a right of appeal when an outside Canada family sponsorship is refused or where a Canadian permanent residence is found to have lost permanent residence (usually by spending more than 60% of the time outside Canada).

Pathway to Canada can help avoid appeals or represent you in a sponsorship appeal or an immigration appeal when necessary.

Immigration Office located in beautiful Victoria, BC

More about Cornerston Immigration & how we can help.

Get started today.

Cornerston Immigration provides a wide range of personalized immigration consulting and representation services for all visa types and immigration categories. Our consultants are able to assist clients from nearly any country in the world and have considerable experience working with China, India, Mexico, the Philippines, Turkey and the USA.

Victoria Office
300-848 Courtney St.
Victoria, B.C. V8W 1C4
Phone: 250-940-3597
Fax: (250) 940-3601

Scroll to Top